Welcome. I have set up this webpage to post my office hours, announcements, memos, forms, and other useful information for students taking chemistry courses at Cornell University.
Starting 01/26/16, I will have office hours once per week. These office hours will generally be held on Tuesdays from 5:00 PM to 6:15 PM at 150 Baker Laboratory. Please check my Office Hours Google Spreadsheet for exact days and times [link]. No appointment is needed. However, if you want to sign up for a meeting slot before you arrive, then you may fill in your name on the Google Spreadsheet sign-up sheet [link]. In between scheduled meetings, I will be happy to talk with visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
Announcements and Events
- 2016/01/25. Welcome back from break! We have a new Application to the Major pdf form [link]. Please send the completed form via email to Pat Hine (email@example.com). We have a new Transfer Credit Application pdf form too [link]. Please email the completed form, along with any electronic attachments, to Katy Kempf (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- 2015/11/03. See my new Undergraduate Research Opportunities page [link].
- 2015/11/03, 5:30 PM, 135 Baker. Hear from upperclassmen about courses for next semester. Hear from upperclassmen and the Director of Undergraduate Studies about research. Questions? Email email@example.com Refreshments provided.
- See the list of Frequently Asked Questions for a discussion/clarification of the chemistry degree's laboratory course requirement [link].
- See the separate blog post Is Chemistry 2150 for you? [link].
- Memo on Chemistry Major Mathematics Course Requirements (2014/04/14) [pdf].
- Transfer Credit Memo and Checklist [pdf] (2014/12/19; revised 2015/04/14).
- Transfer Credit Application pdf form [link].
- Spreadsheet of Chemistry Major Course Requirements, Class of 2017 and later [xlsx].
- Application to the Major pdf form [link].
- Briefing to Biology Majors 2015/08 [pdf][pptx]
- Briefing to Biology Majors 2014/08 [pdf].
Archived Announcements and Events
- 2015/07/08: Advanced Standing Exams: For students who have completed two years of high school chemistry but did not take the AP chemistry exam, our department offers its own AP-style exams [link]. If you score well enough on the exam(s), you may receive 4 or 8 general-chemistry course credits. We administer two exams. The Chem 2070/2090 advanced-standing exam is administered in Baker 135 on Saturday, 08/22/15, at 4:00 PM. The Chem 2080 advanced-standing exam is administered in Baker 135 on Sunday, 08/23/15, at 8:00 AM. No pre-registration is required.
- 2015/07/08: Many incoming Cornell students are deciding between Chem 2070 and Chem 2150. I have created a post, Is Chemistry 2150 for you? [link], which summarizes the prerequisites for Chem 2150 and explains how the course satisfies premedical general-chemistry requirements. See the link below.
- 2015/05/01: Summer DUS office hours. Office hours on Tuesday afternoons through 07/14, then 08/04, and 08/11. Regular fall office hours will resume 2015/08/25.
- 2015/04/14: Announcing a new, more flexible upper-level mathematics requirement. Executive summary: multivariable calculus is still preferred, but linear algebra is now allowed. See the memo below.
- 2015/04/14: Revised Transfer Credit Memo and Checklist. The memo below has been revised to explain that the course you are seeking transfer credit for should be acceptable for a student majoring in chemistry at that school.